Friday, February 18, 2011

Wonton Dumpling Soup aka "My Wonton Soldiers"



Left, Right, Left, Right, Get in Line, Get in Line, 1, 2, 1, 2, Left, Right, Left, Right....

Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends; Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends; Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends; Go, Go, Go, Go.....

I felt like a soldier marching, disciplined, precise like a machine when I was folding my wonton dumplings. I have made wonton dumplings before but I never learned how to do a perfect wrap. I just use to fold, squeeze together and hope that the filling won't come off. So, one nice day, I decided to do some research on youtube to look into various videos on how to wrap wonton dumplings the right way.

As always, the Internet is simply amazing. There were so many videos, I went back and forth looking at all the different methods till I got slightly confused. Heck, this should be simple enough - Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends. This is the method I decided to follow. Surprisingly, it turned out really well and before I knew it, I had a tray of nicely wrapped wonton dumplings.



Infact, I realized I can wrap more of these dumplings and just freeze the extras to use whenever needed. I used store bought dumplings wrappers. It is easily available at any Chinese Grocery stores. Too much trouble to make it at home.

Simple Ingredients :

1 Packet of Dumpling Wrappers (Square shaped)

Filling -
1 pound of minced pork
1 big onion - diced small
1 sprig of scallion - diced small
1 egg
Salt, Pepper, Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce to taste.

If desire a slight crunch in your filling, you can add some diced Waterchest nut.

Simple Steps :

1. Mix well all of the fillings ingredient together. The egg should help to filling to bind together. 2 extra tricks I use when making the filling -
i ) I like to stir fry the onions first with some oil. This allows the onions to be a lot more fragrant when mixed together with the fillings. Be careful not to brown the onions and do let it cool down before mixing together.
ii) Also to make sure that the taste of the filling is just right, after mixing, I will pinch a some of the filling and just microwave it until cook (which usually is less than a minute - depending on how much meat you microwave). At least I get to taste and make sure that it is enough seasonings before I fill up the dumplings.

2. Wrap the dumplings. I made my first little "How To" video. My first attempt so it is very amateurish. No sound, I am too shy but I think it is pretty clear what I am doing. Just repeat until you get it :)



Once you get the rhythm of wrapping the dumplings, you will feel like a soldier machine. Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends; Fill, Wet, Fold, Press, Wet and Cross the ends..... and behold, you will have a full tray of wonton soldiers gleaming back at you :)



3. Get your soup base ready. You can use any type of soup base you like. I prefer chicken stock. Bring it to a boil and put in the dumplings one by one. Let me come to a boil and when the dumplings float up, they are ready. When sure you don't put too many dumplings in at one time as they may stick together and also stir the dumplings around to avoid them sticking.

Another method I use when I am "not lazy". I will boil a fresh pot of just water and let the dumplings boil in that first. I will drain the dumplings out and then only put into the chicken stock. I do this especially when I am making a lot of dumplings. This is to get rid of some of the flour on the wrappers (which will tend to thicken and cloud my soup) and also quicken the boiling process when in chicken soup.



4. Add any green leafy vegetable you like into the soup or just add chopped scallions. And serve it hot.

There is something comforting about a bowl of wonton dumpling soup. Hmmm, bliss.


27 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

These are gorgeous! I can never get mine to line up like good soldiers. They always end up looking like some circus entertainers instead.

adorasbox said...

I just love wontons. I could eat it everyday. So simple, so tasty and so comforting. How beautiful your wontons look!

Unknown said...

Ohh i am loving the wontons. It looks great. I normally buy them already made

Little Inbox said...

I just learned this wrapping method few months ago.
By the way, you've been missing for long time. Welcome back to blogging.

pup said...

Those look perfect!!!

LOL @ Belinda!! You described that perfectly!

mysimplefood said...

Belinda - haha...that's funny, Mine used to look like circus entertainers too.

Adora's Box - Thanks for visiting my blog and yes, wontons are so yummy and comforting.

Joy - making them at home, you can add whatever ingredients you desire - that's the plus.

mysimplefood said...

Little Inbox - yes, I have been missing. "guilty". I am back and am trying to be consistent.

Pup - Thanks for dropping by and agreed - Belinda's description is hilarious. :)

Bette said...

There is only one thing better than shopping in Hong Kong, and that's eating. From small noodle joints to upscale French restaurant, you will locate all sorts of restaurant, eating hall and snack stall on earth in Hong Kong. Here I found small amount of Hong-Kong-styled snacks online (yummiexpress.freetzi.com). This is definitely a good choice before I have $ for another trip.

MaryMoh said...

Ooooh... love these. I have to make too. I love them in soup, great for this cold winter. Your dumplings look very pretty.

mysimplefood said...

Mary - Hi! Yes, there are great especially during winter :)

Unknown said...

They are gorgeous! I love these slightly thicker and chewier wonton skins than the super thin and fragile ones. Yummy!

Kimberley said...

I love that you included a how-to video for wontons!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

Those look sooo good! Nothing quite like homemade wontons and dumplings. LOVE THEM!!

mysimplefood said...

Rita - yes the skin is a bit thick, I also feels it gives it more texture :)

Kimberley - Thanks, it's my first time posting a video. I wonder when I will dare to have my voice on it :)

Jenny - Thanks. Nothing like homemade.

shaz said...

Hi Ivy, I just stumbled across your blog when looking for a kaya puff recipe (which I found and I'm going to try tomorrow, thanks!:)). Your wantan looks so professional, wow! Wantan soup is one of my favourite comfort foods too.

js.psyap@gmail.com said...

Hi, I am also a Malaysian Chinese girl, now living in Cape Town. My ambition, my work brought me here to Cape Town. After living in Malaysia for 30yrs, I do miss home food. I was looking for a simple mee siam recipe and found your blog. Nice blog ;)

mysimplefood said...

Hi Jess. Hope you are doing well in CapeTown. Glad you like my blog. Hmmmm Mee Siam, I must make that one day though I only like the dry ones though.

js.psyap@gmail.com said...

Hi again Ivy,
I made mee siam yesterday night, and it came so nice, hmmm...hmmm.. taste very much like those from the morning market :) like you, i like the dry one. from your recipe, i also added chives, i went to bed very warm and happy.
I am going to make "cham" this weekend. Hey have a good weekend. Keep up the nice simple good recipe!

mysimplefood said...

Thanks Jess. You make me keep thinking of making mee siam again :)

Dinner with Jack said...

Hi, I took my son to our favourite Asian restaurant the other week and whilst we ate he asked if I could find a recipe to make him wanton soup,it seems I have finally found what I have been looking for, thanks for a great post this looks amazing can't wait to try it out.
kind regards

Shurainian said...

Hi Jess, I am also a Malaysian Chinese girl living in Cape Town. I was struggling to find someone with the same food-taste as me. As our food in Malaysia is not like food in Chinese shops here, so I find it difficult to find ingredients to get the food I'm used to. Email me !

Anonymous said...

2"Minced pork"
Ok, what kind of pork? Like pulled pork? A minced pork chop? Ground pork? I've no clue.

Unknown said...

Nice Receipe but can different meats be used to fill the dumplins?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the recipe and video... : )

Emma said...

Very nice video. Now I am inspired and confident. Thanks

Giodom1 said...

Thai version similar but add fine minced cilantro to meat mixture and then add baby bok Chou and homemade garlic oil to bowl! Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Pork is traditional in this and most Chinese recipes. You want beef? Use beef. Try turkey or chicken if you like. Even finely chopped shrimp would work. They're your wontons. You won't get arrested if you experiment. Be brave!

Related Posts with Thumbnails