Saturday, October 25, 2008

Loh Mai Kai (Glutinous Rice with Chicken)



Loh Mai Kai or direct translation to mean Glutinous Rice with Chicken is a Chinese "dim sum" dish. It is usually eaten for breakfast and you can find it easily in any "dim sum" restaurants. It is also now widely available in normal coffeee shops in Malaysia and Singapore. It usually comes in a small sized foil/bowl and flipped over when served.

Loh Mai Kai as the name goes is a Cantonese dish. Glutinous rice is a starchy rice when cooked, and thus it can be very filling so usually you only eat half of the portion of usual rice intact. It goes well with hot Chinese tea as the tea will also ease bloating cause by the sticky rice. It is a yummy dish for breakfast enjoyed with other dim sum condiments.


When I was in Malaysia, I never thought of making it myself. It is so widely available that I will only have this when I am having dim sum or just at any coffee shop. However, when I came to the States, I decided I should try making it myself. Loh Mai Kai is sold is all Chinese dim sum restaurant but yet I am missing the Malaysian flavour so I decided to give it a try and I must say I was extremely pleased with the results.

My Hubby-D found it to be so delicious that he was very quickly ate 2 Loh Mai Kai. I had to stopped him if not he would have a very uncomfortable stomach the whole night. Oh yeah... be warned that sometimes it is hard to stop eating yummy glutinous rice but you must stop or else you will have a bloated stomach the whole night.

Simple ingredients :
1) Glutinous rice - 200gm
2) Chicken -10-15 medium cubes - Use chicken breast or chicken thigh
3) Mushroom - 5-8 small pieces
4) Marinate for chicken - soy sauce, dark soy sauce, ginger juice, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, sesame oil.
6) Seasoning for rice - 2 tbsp oil or lard, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt, pepper.
5) Optional - Chinese sausage or Char siu

For step by step instructions with photos - please click this link.
This will get you to my step by step recipe blog at http://foodmadesimple.blogspot.com/

Please tell me what you think. It's easy so do try. I must say I am now used to my own Loh Mai Kai taste. When I came home to Malaysia and ate a simple loh mai kai in a coffee shop, I was like...errr...this does not taste that great. I think my homemade ones were better. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom made this last time too! :D :D i have captured the pictures and have forgotten about it. will post it soon :D

mysimplefood said...

Hi Xin - Do post it soon, will visit your blog :)

Food For Tots said...

My hubby n I also luv LMK. Your LMK looks so yummy. I am drooling now....Time for supper!

mysimplefood said...

food for tots - Thanks much, first time making it, I was surprised it turned out so well too. Beginner's luck I guess :)

Sue said...

Love it - will try making it at home - miss the flavours - miss the taste and it's amazing how i have taken it for granted all these years. Thanks a lot for the recipe!

mysimplefood said...

Thanks Sue. Let me know how it turns out!!

Caring said...

Delicious! I make this and it's yummy. Thanks for the recipe

Related Posts with Thumbnails