Monday, September 20, 2010

Chilled Tofu with Fried Shallots


I have a confession. I don't like Tofu. Never liked them since young and still try to avoid them now if not for the occasional I take a few bites cos I am eating with others reason.

I know it weird that a Chinese girl don't like tofu. Tofu is like staple for all Chinese, Japanese and Koreans. For me, I think I don't like it due to the strong soy bean taste which is probably what others like it for. I guess it is that reason as I am ok with egg tofu which is made with egg and thus do not have the soy taste.

My Hubby-D loves tofu so occasionally I still make sure I buy tofu and make crank up some tofu dishes. Luckily, he is easy to please. Since he like tofu so much, he says don't do too much too it, it taste great simple. Tofu with fried shallots is a really simple recipe and I do agree with him that it taste pretty good. For me, I take more of fried shallots and less of the tofu and yeah it's yummy. Best of all it is so simple to make.

Simple Ingredients:
1. 1 pack of soft tofu (Square packet easily available at all Chinese grocery stores)
2. 2 TBSP of oyster sauce
3. 3-5 pieces of shallots - sliced thinly
4. Oil for frying

Simple Steps :
1. Remove tofu from pack gently. Since it is soft tofu, the texture is very delicate. Drain away the water that is inside the container. If you like, which I do, I will run some tap water into container to rinse the tofu before taking in out.



2. In a pan with oil, fry the shallots till golden brown. Make sure you remove the shallots just as it is turning golden brown. If you don't it can easily get burnt and turn dark brown.

3. Place the tofu in your serving plate. Place 2 TBSP of oyster sauce on top of tofu and then the fried shallots. for even better taste, drizzle some of the shallot's oil on it. Ready to be served.



This dish is served cold. Do not require to heat up. However, if you like it hot, you can microwave it for 1 minute. Do bear in mind, when you do, the water retained in tofu will ooze out creating a little broth. This is a really simple and nutritional dish and for this Chinese girl that don't like tofu, I do take a few bites for the yummy shallots and delicious oyster sauce and the bits of tofu that sticks to the spoon.

UPDATE : I initially named this dish Cold Tofu but when my Hubby-D saw my posting, he corrected me and said it should be Chilled Tofu. Ok Hubby-D!! You are the tofu-man! :)

15 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

That's funny...I love fried shallots - great flavor and I like how this will perk up tofu.

Belly Good Cooking said...

Ooo.... I love tofu. Been quite a while I didn't cook this dish. Maybe due to hubby having uric acid problem. Will cook it for the kids soon :)

mysimplefood said...

Belinda - Fried shallots is so yummy. So much more fragrance than onions.

Belly Good Cooking - Oh yeah! Soy bean has high uric acid contains. But tofu would be good for the kids.

chow and chatter said...

your a great wifey sometimes we have to make what they like he he I do the same LOL Rebecca

Velva said...

I like tofu but, only when someone else makes it. This looks really good.

tigerfish said...

I am ok with tofu but not with chilled tofu. To me, I am used to tofu being cooked. But I am really willing to try this as this dish has been in my mind for a while cos it is simple, delicious and nutritious. Can't go wrong with such food.

TasteHongKong said...

I love the contrasting textures of the two in one bite.
How you get around for the trial is smart enough.

Lav said...

hii..first time here..yummy reicpes....beautiful blog...happy to follow u....do visit my space

Lavanya

www.lavsblog.com

mysimplefood said...

Chow & Chatter - Thanks dear. Nice to have you back from your vacation!

Velva - Thanks for dropping by.

Tigerfish - I totally understand. Since I am not a fan of tofu, I am far from liking cold tofu. But trust me this combination of fried shallots and oyster sauce is really good. I actually warmed it first when I made it the first couple of times cos I am resisting my Hubby's advice but then realized it was better cold adn less work.

Taste HongKong - Agree. It was surprisingly nice textures.

Lav - Thanks for dropping by. Will visit your blog.

lisa is cooking said...

I actually really do like tofu! This looks delicious, and the sauce is quick to make.

mysimplefood said...

Lisa - Glad you like tofu, it's good for you. And this is a super simple recipe.

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

That's very creative. I can't wait to make it myself. I love this dish. Unlike you, I love tofu. So I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.

Babe_KL said...

I loved this dish, fast and simple ;-)

Anonymous said...

This looks SOO good. I love uncooked tofu. I've never seen it with friend shallots before. I eat it with fresh scallions, ginger and soy sauce. I'd love to try it this way next time. I have an unopened vacuum packed block of tofu in my refrigerator waiting to be drizzled with oyster sauce and fried shallots!

Irenelim said...

My husband doesnt like tofu, but I am ok with them.. This dish is very easy and nice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails