Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Malaysian Curry Laksa in a pack



There are so many variations of Laksa in Malaysia. There is Assam laksa, Johor Laksa, Sarawak laksa, Curry laksa etc. Every state or every hawker stalls probably has a different twist to this Spicy Noodle Soup delicacy in Malaysia.

Curry laksa (in many places referred to simply as “laksa”) is a coconut-based creamy curry soup filled with many condiments and added with yellow noodles or vermicelli.

For me, I love Curry Laksa. It must be the one that is infused with curry flavours. It is almost like creamy curry chicken broth but diluted as soup base. And then topped with curry chicken or steamed chicken breast, hard boiled eggs and dried tofu. Oh yeah, the dried tofu is just decorative piece for me ( I don't like tofu!!) cos I know you must have dried tofu in curry laksa. The tofu will usually be passed on to my dearest family and friends who is seated beside me and they will gladly take it before giving me that "you are so missing out" look.

I am a simple eater, easily satisfied with my noodles in curry broth with chicken and egg. If the curry laksa broth is good, I can literally to slurp down every drop of it.

I made sure I brought my stocks of instant curry laksa packets from Malaysia. I think this brand Tean's Gorumet is still the best and probably closest to a good laksa but definitely nothing near authentic cooked laksa. Beggars can't be choosers. For instant quick fix, an instant pack is a saviour! Time to dress up my Curry Laksa!



Simple Ingredients :
1. 1 packet of Tean's Gourmet Malaysian Traditional Curry Laksa
2. 1 pound of chicken breast
3. 12-16 pcs of dried tofu (Tauhu Pok)
4. 12 strands of long beans
5. 4 hard boiled eggs
7. 1 can of 150ml coconut milk
8. 60gm of Bean sprouts
9. 600gm of yellow noodles or vermicelli.
10. Cockles (Optional - for those who like cockles, please do add. I don't take cockles)

Simple Steps :
1. Firstly, boil your eggs in hot boiling water for 5 - 7 minutes and turn off the gas and let the eggs sit for at least 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, start another pot of 1500ml of boiling water. If you are not too particular about the texture of the chicken, I usually will put in the whole chicken breast in the hot water and boil for 10 minutes till cooked. I will then remove from water and let it sit for 10 minutes before I slice to thin pieces. 2 reason why I do this - 1) It is faster (though the chicken may end up tough if boiled for too long) 2) I use the water that boiled the chicken as broth for my laksa soup. If you want to control the tenderness of the chicken meat, slowly poached it and don't let the hot water be boiling it.

3. Next, Mix 1 packet of Tean's Gourmet Curry Laksa Paste in boiling chicken broth water.



4. Add in 150ml thick coconut milk. Bring to a quick boil and switch to low fire. Add in the fried tofu.

5. Blanch 600g fresh yellow noodles or vermicelli and 60g bean sprouts in another pot of water.

6. Divide into 4 bowls. Place noodles and bean sprouts and green beans in the bowl,then add the sliced chicken breast and hard boiled eggs on top. Pour the hot steaming curry laksa into bowl with the fried tofu.



7. If you like spice, you can add more chilli sambal and also lime juice for the slight kick.

22 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I LOVE laksa too and this bowl is too tempting!!

Roxan said...

This laksa looks delicious! I'll gladly sit next to you at dinner because I love tofu, it's one of my favorite things in the world.

ann low said...

My favorite!!

mysimplefood said...

Belinda - Yeah!! Nothing beats a good laksa.

Roxan - Great!! More tofu for you!! :)

Anncoo - Cheers to fans of laksa!!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

This looks delicious and I love coconut milk! I'm so hungry as looking at it and it's almost lunch time here..

ICook4Fun said...

I too love Tean Gourmet products especially their curry laksa. Lucky I am able to get this in PA and NY so don't have to lug it back here from Malaysia.

tigerfish said...

Then, there is also Singapore laksa. Gosh! I am confused now. Just give me delicious laksa.

chow and chatter said...

yum love making curries like this

mysimplefood said...

Tanantha - I know how you feel. It makes me hungry too.

ICook4Fun - I will search for it next time I go to Chinese supermarkets in Dallas. Don't think I have seen this brand though.

Tigerfish - Yeah, I forgot about Singapore Laksa and that is also pretty different in taste too. But they are all nice.


Chow & Chatter - Yeah curry is good.

Anh said...

yum!! laksa is my fav!

TasteHongKong said...

I love laksa and curry laksa from Malaysia is definitely yes : ).

maameemoomoo said...

I bet it tastes much better than the ones sold at those Malaysian/Singaporean cafe over there ;)

House of Annie said...

Looks pretty good.

Have you tried Chilliz brand?

Nancy said...

I am so hungry right now. I would love to find those packs here.

mycookinghut said...

This one looks pretty good!

mysimplefood said...

Anh : Yes!! Yums!!

TasteHongKong - Does Hong Kong have spicy noodles like laksa?

Maameemoomoo - I try to make sure all the condiments make the flavours even better :)

House of Annie - I have not try Chilliz brand - I will look out for it.

Spicie Foodie - Check out at Chinese grocery stores.

mycookinghut - If I can't have the most authentic laksa, I make it look as good as it can get. :)

Unknown said...

All it takes is seeing the word curry and I go weak in the knees. I love the picture with the different items in the soup. Wow, that looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I love a good bowl of laksa. I often use the laksa pack too. Too much hassle to make from scratch on bus days.

Little Inbox said...

I like to use instant curry laksa paste. I've not cooking it for a while. Unlike you, I love tau pok in my curry laksa. :)

mysimplefood said...

The Mom Chef - I am glad you like curry. An American friend wants me to make curry for her and I am worried if she will like the spices.

Ellie - Yeah, a laksa pack is so much easier. And fast too!

Little Inbox - I know, most of my friends think I am weird for not liking tauhu pok but I really don't take them for some reason.

LimeCake said...

I've tried this brand of laksa before and it was delicious! Laksa is comfort food for me. Yum!

BESS Kopitiam said...

Hi,i just want to share some thought with you guys...If you are a Laksa Lover then Probably you may have tried the Rest and now it's time for you to try The BEST Laksa at BESS Kopitiam while you are here in Melaka.

BESS Kopitiam has been choosen as The BEST Laksa outlet in Malaysia year 2009 - 2010 by the General Public in the www.fabfood1malaysia.com

" Reputedly The Best Laksa With Distinguished Taste That Leaves One Craving For More "

Address : 378 - C ,Taman Sin Hoe , Bukit Baru ,75150, Melaka, Malaysia.
H/P : ( 60 ) 017 618 8055
Contact : Ms Tan Peng Boon
Operation Hours : 7.30am - 2pm
Every Thursday is our OFF day

Nyonya Laksa : RM 3.30
Mee Siam : RM 2.80
Nasi Lemak : RM 2.80

BESS Kopitiam Blog : http://besskopitiam888.blogspot.com/

China Press News : http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2010-12-19&sec=mas&art=1219mc35.txt

GPS Coordinates : N 02°13.031' E 102°15.979' or N 02°12.59.6" E102°15.57.9"

Cheers...

Related Posts with Thumbnails