Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sang Har Mein (Fresh Water Prawns Noodles)


I can't believe that I have not blogged for more than 2 months. How time flies? What happened?

Well, sometimes a distraction comes along and I find myself...."distracted". Poor excuse but that's my weakness. A change of routine and I get distracted easily. In this case was a fantastic vacation in Italy. Don't misunderstand, I was not in Italy for 2 months. 10 days to be exact but I guess I needed a month to get ready and a month to recover. :)

In 2 months of not blogging, the quality of my cooking has also deteriorated. I find myself just cooking the same dishes with same ingredients. No passion to search for new recipes or trying new dishes. I myself was kinda getting sick of my own boring dishes.

So, I am back to the food blogging world and letting photos of food, recipes from others inspire me again. I decided to make this delicious noodles Sang Har Mein (Fresh Water Prawns Noodles). Since I only order this dish when I eat out in Malaysia, I had a fixed impression that it is a difficult dish to make at home. Before I came to Dallas, a friend gave me the simple ingredients on how to cook this dish. It sounded easy enough so I thought I would really try it out this time. True to her words, it was really simple to make and can be ready in less than 15 minutes.

Simple Ingredients :
2-4 large freshwater prawns, clean and deveined - sliced in half horizontally
2 pcs of dried/fried wantan noodles
2 stalks spring onions, cut into 1 inch lengths
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic and 1 tbsp shallots
10-12 slices of young ginger
1 tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau cooking wine
3 cups water or stock



Optional - 1 cup of chopped cabbage

Seasoning (sauce):
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp chicken granules (not required if using chicken stock)
A pinch of salt, sugar and pepper for taste

3 cups water or chicken stock

Thickening (combine):
1½ tbsp corn flour
2 tsp water

1 egg, beaten lightly

Simple steps :

1. If you get to buy the ready fried wantan noodles then skip the step below. If you have fresh wantan noodles, please follow these steps. Loosen the wantan noodles and place on a steaming tray. Steam noodles over boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and let it cool. Loosen the noodles and deep-fry in batches in hot oil for 30 seconds until crispy and golden. Remove and put aside in a 2 separate serving plates.

2. Cut the freshwater prawns into halves. Sprinkle lightly with a little salt and pepper. Heat some 2-3 tbsp oil on pan. Place the prawns shell down onto the pan of oil and let it fry for 2 minutes. You can turn the prawn and let it cook the flesh side. Remove immediately once the prawns are cooked. Place the prawns on top of the noodles.

3. In the same oil, put in the chopped garlic and shallots. Fry till fragrant and add the ginger and continue to stir fry. By now your kitchen will be filled with the aromatic smell of garlic and ginger. Add the cooking wine and sesame oil. Then add the seasoning sauce. Then add water and let it come to a boil. Add the cabbage as desired.

4. Once the broth is boiling, lower the heat and add the cornstarch mix to thicken the sauce. Let it thicken for 1 minute and then turn off the heat. Pour the egg into broth and stir well. Add in the chopped scallions.



5. Pour the sauce over the noodles and serve immediately.



This portion above is enough enough to serve 2 persons. Yummy. Dig in!! :)

15 comments:

Little Inbox said...

Good to see that you're back to blogging. Though I stay in Malaysia, but I have not tasted Sang Har Mein before. I must learn how to cook this based on your recipe.

Belly Good Cooking said...

Good to see you back too. Really missed your simple yet yummy recipes!!!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Um. Italy?? No fair! But you are back with a bang. Delicious!

ann low said...

welcome back! Your Sang Har Mein looks so delicious :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

This looks so delicious! I have not had this in ages.

mysimplefood said...

Little Inbox - In Malaysia, they usually use Yee Mein but I can't find it here. This is a yummy dish.

Belly Good Cooking - Hey friend, it's feels good to be back.

Belinda - Italy was great :) Will post something about it soon.

Ann - Thanks. It was good but I was amazed that it was rather simple to make. Since it is expensive when ordering out, I always imagined it as a complicated dish.

Biren - Hi!! Hope you like it! :)

Fong said...

Yummy. I think I am gonna make some this weekend. Great for cold weather.

mysimplefood said...

Fong - your blog is looking great!!

tigerfish said...

This must be so fragrantly delicious. You fried the aromatics in the oil you used to cook the prawns! That's too good! The essence all goes into the gravy.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I am the same. Without my blog, I will be cooking the same dishes again and again. I love Sang Har mee. Must give this recipe a try. It looks very authentic.

mysimplefood said...

Tigerfish - That's the best part, making sure all the essence of the prawns gets into the broth :)

Ellie - Totally, food blogging really allows me to be inspired, get inspiration from others constantly. Love the community we are in.

chow and chatter said...

looks great i hear you sometimes i feel the same then a blog post will inspire me lol

tell us about Italy

Rebecca

mysimplefood said...

Hi Rebecca. Ah...yes Italy....I will...soon.

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

welcome back! Wow, your sang har mein looks very pro! :D thanks for sharing the recipe, now I can try this at home too

Juliana said...

Wow, good to see you back :-) This noddle with prawns look wonderful, great for the cold weather :-) SO comforting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails