Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dinner in a Sandwich - Apple Sauce Pork Chop Sandwich



How I eat my bread? My usual is simply peanut butter and strawberry jam. And when I want to indulge it is with condensed milk on toasted bread. Ohhh..Yums! Hubby-D won't even try my condensed milk toast therefore for him, I would make ham and cheese sandwich. Occasionally, bacon to indulge. But that's my usual sandwich fare - very simple and easy.

So when I was given the Nature's Pride bread challenge for a chance to go to the Foodbuzz Blogger Festival, I kinda knew a peanut butter jelly sandwich or a ham and cheese sandwich would not really make the cut. However, I still wanted to make it really simple but yet elaborate enough for it to be remembered.

I bought the Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat bread and I was immediately struck by the wholesome delicious smell of bread. I decided to replicate a wholesome dinner I prepared for Hubby-D a few days ago which is pork chops with apple sauce reduction. Hubby-D liked it very much and for me it was simple to make and delicious in taste.

Thus my creation for the Nature's Pride challenge is a dinner in a sandwich.

Apple Sauce Pork Chop Sandwich.

Simple Ingredients :
1. Boneless pork chop - give a good beating to the pork to tenderize it.
2. Apples - sliced. I use red apples as they are sweeter
3. Some fresh lettuce and cherry tomaties
4. White wine or red wine - I used a apple white wine I had in my fridge
5. Salt & Pepper to taste

Simple Steps :

1. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and some olive oil.



2. Heat the pan with some olive oil. Wait till the pan is really hot. Put in the pork chops. Leave it for abt 3-4 minutes on each side till cooked.

3. Remove the pork chops and put aside. In the same pan infused with the pork oil, put in the apples slices. Add in the white wine. Let the apple simmer in the white wine sauce for 5 - 10 minutes. Remember to turn the apple slices to make sure it gets a little golden brown. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.


- I wanted still a soft crunch on the apples so I did not simmer it for too long.

4. Assembly - Put the fresh lettuce on a piece of Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat bread. Then the piece of pork chop. Then add on the slices of apples and the sauce. Top it off with some sliced cherry tomatoes.







Trust me, this is delicious. It is so simple to make this hearty wholesome meal. The soft crunchy apple goes so well with the pork chop and everything comes together beautifully. All done in 15 minutes. Hope you all like it!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dinner in a sandwich sounds simple and delicious. I've never had a pork chop sandwich before, but love the combination with apples. Definitely something to try this fall...thanks!

Belinda @zomppa said...

My, my, my, this is a fantastic dinner!!

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...this is really good....a great comfort food. Thanks very much for sharing.

Little Inbox said...

So amazing, you prepared it in merely 15 minutes!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic sandwich! Love the pairing of apples and pork!

Anonymous said...

What a great choice for dinner! I am happy to have that for dinner every evening.

Unknown said...

An apple sauce pork chopwich! What a great idea. I really like that you basically put an entire meal between bread. Very satisfying, I'm sure!

mysimplefood said...

Baking.serendipity - It actually turned out great. Try it!

Belinda - Thanks dear. You are always so sweet.

Mary Moh - I am glad you like it.

Little Inbox - Yeah 15 mins. I like to prepare simple recipes and will think thru the process so I can maximize time.

5 Star Foodie - Glad you like it. It turned out really well. I like it!

Ellie - Yeah and I would say it is rather healthy too :)

Marisa - Yup! It's packed with all the goodness of a good meal.

Patty said...

Hubby-D is a very lucky man! I don't think I've ever put together such a delectable and elaborate sandwich for my husband...but maybe I should! Perhaps he'll be nicer to me! :)

Babe_KL said...

thanks for the idea, i'm trying to have sandwiches for lunch these days

Juliana said...

This sandwich sure makes a great dinner...and love the idea of pork and apples...great combination!

Juliana said...

Yummie dinner! Love the ingredients in the sandwich...perfect together pork chop and apple sauce :-)

tigerfish said...

Delicious filling for the sandwich indeed but I may turn on messy on this :O

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

This is brilliant! I've never seen this combo, yet it soo works! Kudos to you. I hope you won that challenge.

Related Posts with Thumbnails