Sunday, November 8, 2009

This purple thing called Brinjal

Not familiar with brinjal, well, you may know it as eggplant or aubergine.

I must confess I have never cooked brinjal in my life. Infact, I did not even eat brinjal until a few years ago. I have to thank Esquire Kitchen - a chain of restaurants in Malaysia for my discovery of how tasty this purple vegetable is.



This is the first time I cooked brinjal, and I came up with a simple recipe, imaging exactly how Esquire Kitchen would have cooked up this dish. This is my version.

Simple ingredients :-

1. Minced meat 500gm - marinade with salt, pepper, soy sauce and some corn starch.
2. Brinjals - 2 large pieces - cut in slices.
3. Others - Oil (2TBSP) Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Dark Soy Sauce (all "agak-agak" (guess work) to your liking LOL - thats Chinese cooking!!)



Simple steps : -

1) In a non stick pan with a little oil, put in the brinjals flat on the surface. Let it stir-fry till slighty brown. Turn the brinjals so that all sides touch the fire. Alternatively, you can add more oil and just fry it for 1 minute and remove quickly. I usually like to do the less oil version, consoling myself it is healthier :)



Once the brinjals are cooked and slightly brown, remove and keep aside.



2) Next is the minced meat, with a little heated oil, you can start to fry some sliced shallots till fragrant, add the minced meat and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add water for it to boil with a dash of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste. When boiling, add some corn starch to thicken the sauce.




3) Then, add the brinjals in and stir-fry for 5 minutes. The brinjals will soak in all the goodness of the minced meat sauce.



That's it...ready to eat! Yum Yum! Simple and Easy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails